Maybe I'm odd, but I thought talking to a pregnant woman would be much the same as talking to any other woman. However, my experiences in the last several months have convinced me that this is simply not the case. Surprisingly, men in general have not made any weird or untactful (is that a word?) comments ... just the women!
The following questions and comments are always welcome (at least by me):
- When are you due? (**special note - this should only be followed by one of the next few phrases!)
- How is the nursery coming?
- Oh, you're glowing!
- You must be so excited!
- You look wonderful :)
Stick to those and you will not risk the wrath of the pregnant lady ;)
Here are some of the gems I've received in the last several months:
- I can't believe you're only X number of months along! You're so big!
- How much weight have you gained? (sheesh!)
- You're going to be *huge* by June! (with big saucer eyes for the proper effect ;) )
- You're awfully big for this being your first child.
- Are you *sure* it's not twins?
These are the ones that stick out in my head as being the most common - and I've received variations of the above so many times I wouldn't care to count. I think it's hilarious that people think these are actually acceptable questions / comments! Would I ever say to anyone that they look like they've gained a lot of weight in the past little while? Or ... *gasp* .. ask their weight??
So, if you're tempted to use one of the above phrases around one of your pregnant friends, please refrain ;) They're probably not thrilled already with gaining weight, and having you point it out is really unnecessary ... trust me, they know the size of their belly! lol.
Ok ... back to the Mini Eggs ;)
5 comments:
I totally agree! I couldn't have said it better!
Definitely! Now to chastise Alex for asking about twins ;) I still remember biting some woman's head off after I got a 'you look about due' when I was a day past my due date, sigh
Katie - totally different when it's little kids. They are just cute and so honest! No chastisement necessary ;)
oh my gosh... I can sooooo relate to being annoyed by *exactly* those questions!! A few people even tried to outsmart my doctor and tell me that "they can miss the second heartbeat you know" or "sometimes the twin hides during the ultrasound".
My husband's family thought I should be sharing my weight after each doctor's visit (NO WAY!).
Congratulations on the baby!
Now that you are home the next thing people will be saying to you is 'when's the next one?' LOL
Post a Comment