Thursday, June 18, 2009

Piano

Growing up I was given free piano lessons for about 8 years from the organist in our church. She was also my assigned mentor and this was one of the (many) things she did for me. I appreciate what she poured into my life over those years as well as her prayers since I was 6 years old.

Like most kids I wasn't all that keen on practicing daily. I did a program that had me go through books of songs (rather than learn a few songs really well in a year) so sight-reading was something at which I became quite proficient. I also learned to play by chord - very helpful when playing with a worship team. I was never very good at improvising from the chords, though. I blame that on my lack of imagination.

When I moved out for university and then got married the next year, we went without a piano for several years. Once we built our house we inherited a piano, but it was in pretty bad shape, so I didn't play it. With our upcoming move, Peter started selling off some stuff we were not going to use again, including the piano. At the end of it he had enough money to buy me a really nice electric piano!

It is a stage piano so it does not have any speakers in the piano itself. So far I've been playing it with headphones (we're saving up for some nice speakers). This actually works out well with the kids since I can play it and they don't have to hear it! I have been enjoying playing so much more than I did when I was younger. I look forward to sharing this with my children.

Oh, the piano is my Christmas gift from Peter and the kids. It's great to have it early!

No comments: